/ins PulPaper gathers the best forest industry experts from around the world in Helsinki in May. The futuristic theme of the event is “Visit tomorrow today.” With the help of new innovations and technologies, the forest industry is developing in a digitizing world with respect for the environment. What is the future of wood as a raw material? PulPaper 2018 will be held at the Helsinki Expo and Convention Centre May 29 to 31.
There is a strong environmental perspective in the PulPaper Conference seminar programme May 30-31. The PulPaper Conference consists of joint key note speeches and several alternative parallel programmes from which one may compose the most interesting thematic whole for oneself. The conference programme includes circular economy, use of biomass, and climate change, as well as the development of bio-refinery.
Environmental friendliness as competitive advantage
Environmental standards are often seen as a burden on the industrial sector. In PulPaper's seminar sections, the topic is approached through opportunities. Environmental friendliness and new innovations can be a competitive advantage for companies.
• In the programme under the economics of recycling theme, Mari Pantsar, Director of SITRA, envisions the future of Finland with regard to the circular economy. Case examples from companies present data-based sensors utilized in treating cellulite industry waste waters and the utilization of industrial waste as agricultural fertilizer products.
• The thematic programme regarding new technologies examines innovations and their utilization in renewing the whole industry. Heiner Grussenmeyer, R&D Director of Stora Enso, will present a research project seeking breakthrough technology for the manufacture of chemical pulp. Aalto University professor Tapani Vuorinen for his part will tell about the new catalytic bleaching method.
• In the thematic programme revolving around the concept of development of bio-refineries, Lakehead University professor Lew Christopher will analyse the kinds of possibilities offered companies by transition to new bio-refineries concepts. Olli Dahl, Professor of Environmental Technology within Process Industry at Aalto University, will assess the business opportunities of the new bio-refinery planned for Kemijärvi, and Gisle Løhre Johansen, R&D Director of Norwegian Borregaard will present the operations of a corresponding Norwegian mill.
Will wood replace fossil based materials?
Forest industry is experiencing a transition period as the environmental impact of the sector is known better than before. PulPaper deals with the use of biomass in relation to climate change, related environmental regulations, and the use of wood as a replacement for fossil based materials.
• The topical theme programme focusing on the use of forest biomass and the management of climate change will address issues at the level of Europe, the Nordic countries, and Finland. Bernhard Wolfslehner, Head of the European Forestry Institute, will speak about EU-level provisions in the field, Swedish forestry researcher Johan Sonesson will consider the availability of biomass and related policies from the Nordic perspective, and Professor Antti Asikainen of the Natural Resources Centre will address opportunities to increase biomass availability in Finland.
• Renewable wood raw material based solutions are featured in the thematic programme where how different wood based processed products can replace products from fossil materials, such as plastic, are presented. Managing Director Åsa Ek of the Swedish start-up company, Cellutech, will tell how innovations are made from ideas and what kind of new materials the company is currently developing from wood. Jarmo Ropponen from VTT till tell about what is happening with the development of bio-plastics and Suvi Haimi will tell about the case of her company Sulapac's packaging material.
The forestry, packaging, energy and chemical industry events PulPaper, Wood, PacTec Helsinki, and Bioenergy will be held at the Helsinki Expo and Convention Centre May 29 to 31, 2018. www.pulpaper.fi #pulpaper
Further information: Communications Officer Riikka Luomanpää, Expo and Convention Centre, +358 (0)50 540 4231, firstname.lastname@example.org
CEO Antti Lindqvist, Forest Products Engineers Inc., +358 (0)40 725 2543, email@example.com